Sunday, September 30, 2007

Still Alive

Yeah, I'm not dead or anything. I've just been incredibly busy, and what little time I had left for poker has been tied up in a stake I got to run some triple draw sit n gos on pokerstars.

That means that I've made very little progress on the ultra-turbo thing right now, which is fine. I'll get back to that afterwards. The good side is that triple-draw sit n gos at the stakes I play (micro) are ridiculously easy to beat. I've seen all sorts of people raising it to the cap and standing pat from after the first draw onward only to lose with their 9-low to my 7-low. The only bad thing is that this makes it tough to distinguish the people who know how to play from those who don't, so I'll occasionally get hit by somebody with a nut low and lose big, but that's rare.

I think that in general, games with a low component are easier to beat than ones that are purely high based at low stakes. I always seem to have an easier time with omaha hi/lo or razz or triple draw than I do with hold 'em or stud high or regular omaha. That could just be due to the fact that I've practiced on the low games more, though. I'm not sure.

I wonder if hold 'em high low would work. You've only got two cards in your hand, so it would make it harder to sweep unless it was an A2 or A3 sort of hand, and it would be a bit of a crapshoot because going for low hands (23) would be really risky and totally reliant on a helpful flop. I think that there's a bit of a problem in that every person shares five cards for each hand but only has two others to use - not allowing the hand variety of stud hi/lo but not allowing the large range of cards available in omaha. It's kind of stuck in-between without any good factors to make a hi/lo game. It probably wouldn't work.

Anyway, that's about all the energy I have in me right now. When things wind down and my stake is over, I'll get back to posting more (and better), I promise.

No comments: